Weight loss hypnotherapy in San Fransisco California Bay Area. Lose weight with hypnosis. Be hypnotized to lose weight by a trim and attractive female hypnotist who has been there. Control your weight, master the eating compulsion, forget compulsive habits, trance out and drop pounds. Weight control is easy with hypnosis. Hypnotized fat loss. Hypnotherapy for eating control.

5/19/2005

Who I can't help

The longer I have been doing this work, the more clear I become on who I can and cannot help. I had a client recently who wanted to lose weight. That may seem normal, given what I do, but this woman really, really wanted to lose weight. In fact, she was completely convinced that she couldn’t be happy until she lost the weight, so she wanted to lose it immediately, if not sooner.

I should mention that this woman had gained and lost 40 lbs twice a year for each of the past 15 years. She associated the major holidays with where she was in her gain/lose cycle. If it’s April, I must be losing weight. If it’s October, I’m gaining.

We worked together a few sessions where she reluctantly agreed to follow a balanced, moderately reduced calorie diet and we began to address her overeating triggers, which were many. The first thing she lost was her desire to overeat pasta, and she was briefly pleased by the shift. I also attempted to guide her to the core causes of her struggle to help her heal them.

Yet while she was making great progress in the foundation pieces for lasting change (addressing triggers, adopting specific practices of positive thinking, etc.) her frustration was growing. The weight just wasn’t coming off fast enough.

I later learned that the only reason she had decided to work with me was that her old pattern had broken down. She just wasn’t able to lose the weight quickly anymore. She had tried every diet pill on the market, prescription and herbal, and nothing worked, so she was left with me. What she most wanted, was for me to restore her to her old quick loss pattern. Even though she knew from 15 years of experience, that quick loss equals quick gain, she didn’t care. All that mattered now was to get rid of those excess pounds, and fast!

In the end, we realized we were a poor match. Ethically, I’m not willing to help someone go on a crash diet. The “I’ll get healthy once I lose the weight, and figure out how to maintain it then too” mentality just doesn’t fly with me.

Mine is not the quickest program around. There are many other weight loss programs that are faster. What I offer is an opportunity to address and heal the underlying causes so that when the weight easily comes off, it stays off. Overeating becomes obsolete, daily healthy practices become the norm, and maintenance is just more of the same healthy practices. To quote Oprah, “This I know for sure”.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This thinking and behaviour are incredibly difficult habits to break. There is a desperation to "get there now" which I totally understand. You spoke of the "myth of arrival" in your prologue (I think?) which rang an enormous bell for me: the notion that, as soon as I'm thin, everything will be ok, happiness, fulfilment will follow. Perhaps, deep down we all know that this idea is rubbish and that if we get there and things aren't miraculously cured, then what? So we stick with the familiar old battle - better the devil you know?

So many times I have thought the same thing as your client - "health can wait, weight loss for now is more important". Well, now I'm 41 and health has to be now or never, but it's easier to make a statement like that than to actually follow through. I shouldn't drink so much diet coke, wine, eat so much cheese, blah blah, yet I continue to do so. Why?

The all-or-nothing mentality is a killer here too - oh well, I've ruined it now. Eat the rest of the packet/drink the rest of the bottle of wine, etc.

Well, hopefully I'm one of the ones you can help despite 20+years of doing the same thing, in cycles.

Sophie

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home